Children and Family Activities – ON HOLD
We have said thank you and good-bye to Melinda and Jonathan for their inspired leadership and conscientious work as our Youth Ministry. Godspeed and best wishes for next year!
*Intergenerational Services — ON HOLD
One Sunday each month we will hold a single, Intergenerational Service at 10:15 (a new, later time), celebrated by our entire congregation, and followed by a time of eating and fellowship for all.
Youth Book Group — ON HOLD
We are reading Monique Gray Smith’s teen edition of Braiding Sweetgrass adapted from the book by Robin Wall Kimmerer. We look forward to discussing the book with members of the Adult Ed group, who will read the original version at the same time.
The Youth Book Club has also read:
- The Faithful Spy, a graphic novel about Dietrich Bonhoeffer. The story of German pastor and Nazi resistor Dietrich Bonhoeffer comes to life in this award-winning graphic novel from John Hendrix
- Becoming RBG by Debbie Levy: a graphic novel about Ruth Bader Ginsburg
- The Night Diary, Primates by Veera Hiranandani: a graphic novel about Jane Goodall and other well-known female primatologists
- Harbor Me by Jacqueline Woodson: a novel that tracks the friendships between six fifth-graders when given the opportunity to get to know each other.
Completed Activities — Fall/Winter of 2022/23:
Sunday, September 11: The Youth Book Club will meet after the 10:15 service. We will watch a movie and have a meal to finish last year’s book.
Sunday, September 25 at 9:30 Please join our Intergenerational Service that includes Blessing of the Backpacks, followed by Make-Your-Own-Sundaes!!
Sunday, October 9: First service project of the year – Diaper Drive! (9:30, between services); youth book club to follow 10:15 service
Sunday, October 23: Intergenerational service, 10:15, with a creation care theme, followed by harvest and local food snacks; youth book club to follow
- 15th, 10:15 – Intergenerational Service
- 29th, 9:00 – Single service followed by annual meeting; join us in baking treats for the annual meeting during part of morning service
- 12th, 9:15 – Service project between services: Making Valentine’s cards for those who need cheering up this season
- 19th, 10:15 – Intergenerational service followed by a pancake brunch (“Ash Sunday”)
- 5th, 9:15 – (between services) Intergenerational Service Project: Build/paint a “Little Free Pantry” for St. Mark’s to fill for the surrounding community. Click for more information
- 19th, 10:15 – Intergenerational service celebrating St. Patrick and Celtic traditions
- 2nd, 10:00 – Laying of Palms for Palm Sunday, activity during 10:15 service
- 8th (Saturday), 4:00 – Intergenerational Easter Vigil, 4:00
Our commitment: Children Welcome!
Our Directors of Children and Youth programs, Jonathan Knock and Melinda Corey have “retired” as coordinators of the program, which in the past has included the following:
- Outreach projects like making cards for ill and home-bound community members
- Hands-on activities such as making Advent Wreaths, while learning about the symbols of preparation for Christmas
- Helping during services as ushers and greeters, while participating in the Eucharist and listening to the sermon
- Telling the stories of the Bible and reflecting together, as we learn together the great stories of our faith
- Reading and discussing books together over cocoa at our Middle School Book Club
More happy times at St. Marks!